Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Am I Angry? Maybe...

Ahhh the color red is fitting for this blog. When you are done reading you will understand. I enjoy watching weight loss shows, no matter who is doing them. I watch a little Celebrity Fit Club, I know a little white trash but hey even white trash need to watch their weight. This season though I really enjoy the therapist that is on there. She is older, late 50's I would guess but she just gets to the point quickly...I like that. On the last episode she was talking about anger, unresolved anger. She stated that studies have shown that anger and weight gain are correlated.

She explained that anger is unresolved pain. She asked the question "What make you angry?" She went on and explained that real anger usually comes from childhood, but also is something that we suppress in adulthood also. Anger and disappointment gives us permission to punish ourselves with food-by gaining weight cutting ourselves down about our body image. ( OK so no more fat jokes). She also talked about food being a comfort to some. One of the celebrities taked about being bullied in school and coming home and finding comfort in food like warm soup crackers and butter....( I love butter too I thought...dam)

One of the exercises that she did was she had each of the celebrities draw on a pillow or t-shirt what had mad them angry. Some of the things were sad and hard things that parents do to us growing up, or bullies and people who just can't accept others for who they are, one was lame he was angry about traffic....not the sharpest crayon in the box. She then had each of them destroy the pillow or t-shirt to symbolize getting ride of what they were holding on too. Good exercise I thought...if it was still the 80's I could do that exercise and sell the t-shirts.

So I ask the prying question; What makes us angry? I think about a few things, everyday things that irritate me, or thing that happened long ago, the point is resolution. The more I ponder on the complexity of weight the more I realize that it is not as easy as diet and exercise, it goes a lot deeper for sure.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat blog. Thank you for the nice comments. I always remember you telling me that it rains on the wicked AND the righteous. We miss you too. Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think I am angry about not being able to be in total control of everything in my life. I hate the idea that I can work my tail off and my house might still be messy and my sanity in the toilet. Dangit. I need a roll with extra butter now.

    ReplyDelete